Skip to main content

Housing advice and options

If you want to move, or need to move, it is important to plan properly. Think carefully before giving up your home and make sure that anywhere you plan to move to is suitable and affordable for you.

Don't wait for a crisis to ask for advice

If you think you are at risk of losing your home, we will be able to advise you of your legal rights and may be able to help you look at ways in which you can stay in your home.

Call us on 01234 718058 and we can give you immediate advice. Lines are open: Monday to Thursday 8:45am to 5:15pm and Fridays 8:45am to 5pm

Email us at providing details of your situation and we will reply with advice, or you can use our online enquiry form:

Help with housing options and homelessness

We will assist you to try and remain in your current home.  We can give advice on tenancy rights and responsibilities.

Types of advice we give

We can give you advice and support with:

  • managing your landlord / tenant relationship
  • how a landlord can end your tenancy
  • illegal eviction
  • mediation with family and friends who are asking you to leave
  • relationship breakdown
  • claiming benefits to help you stay in your property
  • managing debt to reduce arrears

Even if your landlord or mortgage lender has asked you to leave, you may not have to leave immediately. In most cases you have a right to be given proper notice and a court order before you have to leave your home.

If you are a lodger in your landlord’s home they can ask you to leave without going to court to evict you.

Finding accommodation

If you need to find a new home we can give you advice on subjects such as:

My Home Options is the choice based lettings scheme for Registered Providers (social housing) properties in Bedfordshire. You will need to be registered on the scheme to bid on social rented properties. Bidding is how you tell us you are interested in the property. It does not involve any monetary payment.

There are lots of people registered on this scheme and bidding on properties so not everyone will be successful.

Private rented housing

Renting privately can provide a wider choice of available property types and locations. It is fast becoming the main viable housing option, particularly as there are not enough social rented properties for everyone who would like to rent one. At first the idea of finding a private rented home may seem daunting but once you have some basic knowledge about how everything works it will be much easier to begin your search.

Advice about finding a private home (PDF).

Homeless or at risk of homelessness

If you are homeless or at risk of being homeless and we have not been able to help you remain in your current home or move to other accommodation we will give advice with regards to any duties the Council has to help you.

View our homelessness strategy

Duty to refer 

From 1st October 2018, certain public authorities must notify a local housing authority in England where one of its service users:

  • May be homeless or at risk of homelessness, and
  • Consents to the referral

The following are public authorities with a duty to refer:

  • prisons (public and contracted out)
  • youth offender institutions and youth offending teams
  • secure training centres (public and contracted out) and colleges
  • probation services (community rehabilitation companies and national probation service)
  • jobcentre plus
  • accident and emergency services provided in a hospital
  • urgent treatment centres, and hospitals in their capacity of providing in-patient treatment
  • social service authorities.

For more information please see: Guide to Duty to Refer

To make a referral to us please see below: