Skip to main content

Trading standards

Our role is to help businesses trade fairly and comply with current legislation. 

We also help and advise consumers to protect themselves when buying services and shopping. 

You can report a scam, or a problem with a trader or product, to Trading Standards by contacting the national Citizens Advice consumer service. You don’t need to call us directly, they will send details of your report to Bedford Borough Council Trading Standards on your behalf.

Consumer and general business advice is provided by fully trained staff at the Citizens Advice consumer service on behalf of Trading Standards.

You can phone them, write to them, or fill in their online form

Advice for business regarding Brexit

As the UK Government continues to prepare for exiting the EU, we appreciate there may be uncertainty regarding the details and what the practical impacts of an EU Exit may have on your business.

To help you to plan for the potential outcomes of leaving the EU, a range of information and guidance about regulatory compliance and implications for your business has been produced by the Government.

You can access this on Prepare your business for EU Exit.

UK Government will update and provide further information regarding the terms of the exit from the EU at