Skip to main content

Universal Credit

You might be able to get Universal Credit if you’re not working or you’re on a low income. Most people will be moved on to Universal Credit.

It is paid by the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP), not the Council, and replaces these existing benefits and credits into a single monthly payment:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Job Seeker's Allowance
  • Income-based Employment Support Allowances
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit

Citizens Advice Bedford

Citizens Advice Bedford provides end-to-end support to help people with making a new Universal Credit claim and continuous support throughout.

Find them at St Paul's Square, Bedford for face-to-face support or use their handy Universal Credit guide.