Section 106 (S106) agreements are legally binding planning obligations entered into between a local authority and a developer. They are made under Section 106 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 and provide the mechanism by which measures are secured to make the impact of proposed development, that would otherwise have been refused, acceptable.
This can be through:
- financial contributions
- activities or restrictions relating to the use of land and buildings.
These measures must be directly relevant to the development proposed on the application.
See the planning obligations pages on GOV.UK for guidance on their use.
S106 agreements have been scaled back following the introduction of the Community Infrastructure Levy which runs in parallel (see more information about in the policies section below).
View S106 agreements and submitting an enquiry
View and find applications and documents
- All S106 agreements are available online stored with the Planning Decision Notice by the application number.
- Read our PDF for more guidance to find online.
- S106 agreements and decisions for the former Bedfordshire County Council Decisions and S106 agreements are kept in their own register.
- Local.LandCharges@bedford.gov.uk can provide a search (subject to a fee)
Request information about a S106
For S106 compliance, discharge or any other information requests, you can complete this form and pay online:
The fee is £102.50 including VAT and can be paid when completing the form. You must provide the application number.
How to discharge and vary S106 agreements
- When the discharge or variation is over 5 years from the S106 being signed and the decision issued on the associated planning application, a formal application process is required. Apply online at www.bedford.gov.uk/planningforms under section 106 BA (affordable housing) or A(3). This application, once valid, will be available online.
- When the discharge or variation is within 5 years of the S106 being signed and the decision issued on the associated planning application, a formal application is not required. However, the application number, proposal, name and postal address must be supplied to the us at email@example.com. This is Under Section 106 A(1). The record of this submission will be published online after the decision.
Please quote on your request or application form the relevant code for the submission eg. under S106 BA or S106 A(1) or S106 A(3).
S106 policies and CIL
The Planning Obligations Supplementary Planning Document (SPD) sets out the Council’s policy for securing planning obligations from new developments that require planning permission and how this has been changed by the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL).
Planning obligations will still be used to secure affordable housing and to mitigate site specific impacts. The SPD was adopted on 17 July 2013 following consultation and amendment.
The Planning Obligations SPD is a material consideration, having weight when considering planning applications for new development.
For more information on CIL please see www.bedford.gov.uk/CIL.
- Planning Obligations Supplementary Planning Document (PDF)
- Draft template for a S106 agreement (Word)
- Adoption Statement (PDF)
For queries with S106 policies or the Planning Obligation SPD please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For queries with a S106 request you have submitted and paid for on the form above please contact CIL@bedford.gov.uk
S106 Annual Report
See details of all S106 contributions received and spent (PDF files):