Skip to main content

Mobile home and caravan site licensing

If you want to apply for a mobile home and caravan site licence, you must complete the application and include a site plan at 1:500 scale showing the layout of roads, caravans and facilities. 

A licence cannot be issued without corresponding planning permission.

For an application form, contact us on 01234 718099 or email

View mobile home parks questions and answers - 2013 (PDF) to find out more or go to GOV.UK's park (mobile) homes information.

Licence conditions

Licences have conditions taken from ‘model standards’ which include:

  • The type of caravan, eg residential, static holiday or touring.
  • The permitted density (the number per acre/hectare) and the spacing between caravans.
  • Water supply and drainage; lavatory and washing facilities.
  • Fire precautions and electrical installations.


  • A caravan sited with the curtilage of a dwelling and its use is incidental to the dwelling. This means it cannot be occupied separately.
  • A single caravan sited for not more than two consecutive nights for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
  • Up to three caravans on a site of not less than five acres for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
  • Sites occupied by exempted organisations such as the Caravan Club.
  • Sites of up to 5 caravans certified by an exempt organisation and which are for members only.
  • Sites occupied by the local authority. These are usually gypsy sites.
  • Sites for temporary and special purposes such as caravan rallies, agricultural and forestry workers, building and engineering sites and travelling salesmen.
  • A site for tents only can be used for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.

Caravan site occupiers

You should have a licence already but you should check that your name, the site name and address is correct and up to date. Also check that the licence corresponds with your planning permission. If not, contact us using the details above.

If you have recently become a caravan site occupier, licences are transferable to a new occupier but the law requires us to give consent for the transfer. You should complete an application form with a letter requesting for transfer.

Potential site occupier

You or your legal advisor should check that all the land used for siting caravans has planning permission and that the details correspond with the site licence. If you wish to change the use of the land to a permanent caravan site use you must have planning permission before a licence can be issued.

View the Caravan and Control of Development Act 1960 and other legislation mentioned. You can view a copy of the Caravan and Control of Development Act 1960 at the council offices where you may also obtain an application forms, a copy of the conditions and further help or advice.

Mobile Homes Act 2013

The Mobile Homes Act 2013 was enacted on 26 May 2013. Sections 1 to 7 came into effect on 1 April 2014.

  • Section 1 – gives local authorities the ability to introduce fees (on application and an annual fee).
  • Section 2 – gives local authorities discretion whether to issue and/or transfer site licences.
  • Section 3 – appeals to site licence conditions will go to the Residential Property Tribunal instead of going to the Magistrates Court.
  • Section 4 – gives local authorities the ability to serve a compliance notice where there are one or more breaches of site licence conditions.
  • Section 5 – gives local authorities the ability to carry out works where the licence holder has failed to do so, this includes the recovery of costs.
  • Sections 6 and 7 – amend details in relation to appeals, operative periods, recovery of expenses and the residential tribunal.
  • Section 8 – places a requirement on the licence holder to be a “fit and proper person”. This has not yet been enacted and is not likely to be until 2017.
Sections 9 to 12 came into effect as of 26 May 2013.
  • Section 9 – makes site rules express terms of agreement
  • Section 10 – removes the requirement for the site owner to consent to the sale or gift of a mobile home (please also see the Regulation named above for further information)
  • Section 11 – changes the way in which a site owner can change pitch fees
  • Section 12 – amends the protection occupiers have against eviction and harassment

The Caravan and Control of Development Act 1960 prohibits the use of land as a caravan site unless the occupier holds a site licence issued by the Council.

For further information about how the changes affect you, download this leaflet ‘Park homes: know your rights’ (PDF)


The Mobile Homes (Site Rules) (England) Regulations 2014  prescribe the procedure for the making, variation and deletion of site rules on residential mobile home parks. Site Licence Holders must follow a set procedure for changes to be made to “site rules” for a permanent residual home site.

Site rules compliance

The following sites have submitted their site rules. 

On this page